Monday, August 27, 2007

Oops!

Sunday morning we were in Krasnoyarsk and headed off to Church. The address was a large office building, and I asked the reception if this was where the Church met and she said yes--4th floor. We had gotten there at 9 because we weren't sure what time Church started or how long it would take to get there. According to lds.org, sacrament meeting was at 10:00, so we waited around for someone to show up. We started getting nervous when no one had come by 9:45. Finally one lone man came and asked if we were there for Church. We were very relieved to see him. We went in and sat down in the rented hall and he started setting up a laptop and projector. I asked if there was some kind of broadcast that day and he said, "No, but the pastor is out of town this week so we are doing something a little different." Pastor? Just to make sure I hadn't misunderstood, I asked about the branch president. "Oh, we don't have anyone like that, other than the pastor." I whispered to Margo that I thought we were at the wrong Church. We started to look around and noticed a set-up for a band and some Evangelical posters. We excused ourselves and went back to the receptionist to ask more specifically about where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints met. "Oh, yes, the Mormons used to meet here but they have their own building now." She had only vague directions, and we weren't able to find the building, so we never did make it to the true Church. Quite the coincidence, we thought!

No comments: