Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Happy B-Day from Hawaii

We are celebrating Cliff's Birthday this year in... Hawaii!

Since we got here on Friday, we have visited a couple beaches, grilled steaks for Cliff's birthday, found a couple playgrounds for Isaac and sampled some of the better restaurants around. Yum to fresh sea food. We are contemplating taking surf lessons.
After hanging around New York all December, we felt we earned the right to escape to the sun.





It feels like we stumbled into paradise here; the weather is so warm and beautiful.






Isaac did not like pineapple in New York, but apparently loves it here (unsuprisingly).


We are here with my (Margo's) parents who have a time share on Kauai. Although mom and dad served their mission in Hawaii Honolulu, they were never in Kauai as missionaries.
We were most nervous about how Isaac would handle the plane ride(s). If I were not in such a good mood from all the warmth and beauty, I would write a very unkind tirade addressed to US Airways and mention a golf ball sized bruise on Cliff's arm from the seats, the large gash in our car seat (gate checked), the 2.5 hour mechanical delay, the 1970's plane they finally put us on, the missed connection to Kauai once we arrived in Honolulu, their refusal help us find the next available flight to Kauai (which turned out to be over 27 hours later!!) or pay for the hotel. Well there, it turns out I kind of did anyway.
But our luck turned the next morning when a sympathetic ticketing agent put us on the first flight of the morning to Kauai. And we have been living "Aloha" ever since.
The ocean and cliffs are indescribable. Did you know they filmed South Pacific, King Kong, Jurassic Park and and Elvis's Blue Hawaii here?
I am starting to wonder if we can rent my parents and bring them along on all our vacations since the are so happy to baby sit Isaac (and I think Isaac is starting to prefer Grandma to mama--oh my!).
We did celebrate Cliff's Birthday before leaving home--we had someone watch Isaac while we went out to see The Young Victoria.
On an enthuastic note, Go Jets!! and even more enthuastically: Go Vikings!!

8 comments:

Kristin Burke Sevinc said...

Wow JEALOUS!!! Remind me to remind you when my birthday is!! :O)

di said...

WHAT??!! Where have I been (in my apt)...no clue you were off to sunny skies and gorgeous beaches!! The green grass and blue skies in your photos made me dream for summer...

Have a great time and safe trip back. Always happy to see you when you get back! xoxo

Lindsay said...

I've honestly never wanted to go to Hawaii...until now. January in the city is starting to get to me. Have so much fun!!!

Nancy said...

looks fantastic! how beautiful! have a wonderful time.

Lynda said...

Happy birthday - what a place to celebrate your 29th!

Darci said...

Ahhhhh!!!! ALOHA! I went to Maui for a week over the Christmas break and I almost didn't come back. I was seriously convincing myself that I could open up a banana bread stand on the side of the road and live a happy, carefree, "island" life. Damn that return ticket home! Next time I swear I'm buying a one-way......and I'm bringing my dog, as that's the only reason I used the return ticket home...... So glad you had a great time!!! Birthday wishes to Cliff and love to you all!!! XOXO

Liz Green said...

Now that's the way to celebrate a birthday. Looks like you are having a great time and can't wait to hear your flight story in more detail but better yet your experience in a beautiful island we wish we could call home.

Emily & Kyle said...

Now that you know I am not some crazy blog stalker...I can comment without feeling guilty:) It looks like you had a wonderful trip. Still cannot believe about the way there...so crazy!