Thursday, September 17, 2009

And a Happy New Year to You!

I was walking to the park with Isaac when I noticed the synagogue next to my house had a table out with what looked like baked goods on it. A woman saw me looking and, shoving a mini bag with a fresh challah and honey in my hands, said "happy new year!" I said, "oh, can I pay you for this?" She said no, it is community out-reach. They were passing out apples, honey, and challah, the traditional Rash Hashanah food. Could I make a donation? No, but I could fill out their survey. So I did.

To my surprise, I got a call from the synagogue last night saying I had won the raffle and my basket would be delivered. I guess the survey was also a raffle ticket (which explains why it was small and I put it in a fish bowl). Turns out the basket was Zabar's "Apples and Honey Basket" (pictured above).
Cliff and I were wondering if the raffle was totally random because the basket is heavy and we live literally right next door to the synagogue; and the women at the table were very excited that our boy's name was Isaac (very Jewish sounding; were we lost sheep?) and he was smiling andbabbling at them.
In any case, it is going to be a very good year on the Jewish calender for me.
I am thinking about converting.

Preview for next post: beautiful pictures from trip to Minn. last week.

5 comments:

Jilly Bean said...

Wow, how awesome. Yes, happy new year!

Kristin Burke Sevinc said...

haha... That's funny. Adam wanted to convert just for the commute to church when we lived there! :O)

Erin said...

That is a happy new year! Hope that you enjoy the fruits (and honey) of your good fortune.

becca said...

that's hilarious!! Congrats!

Linemoren said...

Margo, that is hilarious!!! Such fun in the neighborhood... I miss that... :S
Congrats on winning the raffle, the fruitbasket looks yummy!
AND שנה טובה!!!