Monday, December 15, 2008

pictures

Most people live in 24 hour cycles. We live in 3 hour cycles: 60 minutes nursing, burping and changing his diaper; the next 30 to 60 minutes on his play mat, bouncer, or Bjorn; the remaining time, sleeping, until 2.5 to 3 hours has lapsed, at which time the loop recommences. The continual 'same-ness' is comforting to my sleep deprived mind. What will I be doing 6, 12, 18 hours from now? One of three things: nursing, playing, or napping.

Who doesn't like pictures of a cute 5 week old?


I like this one just because it is such a good picture of his eyes and face.


Bath times have become less and less traumatic for everyone. This goes for diaper changes too. Pretty much, anytime air would hit his body, he used to get very upset. Now he has learned to regulate a little. Or perhaps, we are getting better at accommodating him. I approach diaper changing like I remember calf roping at the Minnesota rodeo growing up. From the moment the diaper opens, its a race to wipe, diaper cream, and secure the new one. We have learned the repercussions of taking a long time can be quite messy. (who knew poo flew that far?)


Cliff likes to bathe Isaac wearing a tie.
Actually, he was on his way to a bishopric meeting (Cliff, not Isaac).


His shirt says it all. At Isaac's one month check up this past Wednesday, the doctor exclaimed that Isaac was the most physically alert and active one month old she had seen for a long time. She said to "be ready" when he learns to walk. Good thing I have a couple pairs of running shoes.


Isaac was looking for food and decided Cliff's nose looked scrumptious.
He is a voracious eater. At 3am the other morning he was ready to eat and I though I could perhaps close my eyes while he was eating; which turned out to be a very bad idea. After a couple minutes he started squealing and I looked down to find he had been sucking off to the side of where he should be, and left (I kid you not), a large red welt, raised in the middle--which turned into a large blue/purple bruise--and three red dots where he broke little blood vessels in his attempts to extract milk from the place that wasn't my nipple.
Didn't the pain alert me that something was wrong? Ummmm..... it felt like usual.


We decided to get serious about getting a Christmas card together. So, we tried to find appropriate scenery....


..and be creative about how to get all three of us into one picture. This is one of our more funny attempts. I don't think we are even all quite in the picture!


Cliff has been on paternity leave for a week and a half. We have learned that paternity leave is code for 'work from home'. This past week I have awoken at least twice to feed Isaac to find Cliff awake, all through the night. It shoots the martyr card I was hoping to play as a new mom when I realize that Cliff is getting less sleep and working as hard as I am, during his 'vacation.' On the other hand, we are incredibly grateful that he has a job.


Since I spend one third of my day sitting somewhat confined, I have become quite the little reader. I finally finished The Brothers Karamazov, as well as a couple other books. Cliff and I formed the Blair Book Group and chose as our first book Barack Obama's "Dreams from my Father." Cliff can't put it down.

11 comments:

Jilly Bean said...

Isaac looks like an active, sweet little boy! I loved your nodding off while nursing story. It made me laugh out loud. It really is so cool that Cliff gets paternity leave. That's so dang cool!

I think the first 6 weeks after a new baby are so challenging because of lack of sleep, changing hormones, and constant servitude to the wee one. But it gets easier as time goes by. And of course the baby just gets sweeter and more fun. Being a parent is the best!

Lindsay said...

Little Isaac is so cute! We're anxious to meet him. Maybe after Christmas? I'm glad to hear that you're all doing well!

Tara said...

You are such a good writer! I laugh so hard every time I read your blog! He's so cute and you look FABULOUS!!!!!

Alyosha said...

I love his reindeer vest. And you look great, margo. And you can always play the martyr card--you're the one that grew him for nine months and pushed him out, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

You and Isaac both look beautiful. And it sounds like you are enjoying the adventure of motherhood. Here's to bodily function fun and flair!

Kourtney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kourtney said...

You guys look awesome-- happy and content.

Cliff is enjoying Dreams from my Father? Maybe there is hope for him after all... :)
(We are reading it too, and loving it. We should all get together and talk about it.)

Anonymous said...

What a cutie. You look fabulous, Margo. I loved the nursing story and how you couldn't tell the difference since newborn nursing days are so painful-hang in there! You all look great!

Anonymous said...

i love it. all of it. you are amazing.

Nancy said...

yay for new babies! you do look great.

Mackenzie said...

So cute! Merry Christmas!