Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Association

Isaac is cute as ever and becoming more independent every day. He takes little steps on his own daily and is becoming more adventurous. He is such a cutie and we love him so very much.

Life has quietly returned to "normal" but it has been a busy couple weeks of unpacking, arranging furniture, installing furniture, etc. The singles ward had an FHE here a couple weeks ago and we discovered our living room can fit 30 people. We have also re-opened the Blair Family B&B and have already had two takers, one of which was Uncle Preston! Isaac was not shy at all of the fun family visitor and has personally requested that he return again, soon.

I joined the building's tenant association. The big news is that a 7-11 is going in on the corner of our building. People are worried that it may attract a certain sort of people to hang out on the corner all hours of the night. The tenant board president responded; "well, we can do like we did to the bodega on the block a couple years ago: get the police to station a cop there, and if the nuisance continues, force them out!"
I was slightly incredulous that they had that sort of power, but they referred me to a newspaper article that detailed a development company's attempt to build a multi-million dollar high-rise "on our heads!" as the board described it. The tenants flexed their muscle and successfully repelled the effort.
The reason it was in the paper last week was because the developer went bankrupt. The association didn't send a condolences note.
It feels like I joined a union, and I couldn't be more thrilled.
One tenant raised security concerns about the front door being propped open. The Jewish tenants in the building can't push buttons on the sabbath (Friday night to Saturday night), as it is considered work. So they prop open the door and the doorman lets people through when he sees they are Jewish. The argument got heated as some tried to tread lightly around religious observances. Some tenants, however, weren't. Things continued to escalate when one tenant yelled "anyone could put on a Yarmulke and sneak through the door!"
So now, the entire building is on the lookout for anyone wearing a Yarmulke who may actually be a terrorist.
I spend my free time trying to think up a good question to ask people who look Jewish that they could only answer if they were truly Jewish. I am thinking: What was the name of Matitiyahu's son who led the Maccabee's fight against the Syrian army? (answer: Judah. And yeah, I googled "Jewish Trivia" for that one).

3 comments:

Kourtney said...

So funny to imagine someone standing up, shaking a fist, and shouting that. Ben and I should totally come by some Saturday dressed in our Jewish Sabbath best and see if we can pass.

Kristin Burke Sevinc said...

haha that is funny! I can only imagine the discussions that will go on. The co-op boards around here are nuts!
Isaac is growing up so fast! :O)

Darci said...

You are HYSTERICAL!!! That is too funny! I am on the Home Owners Association board for my community, so I know first hand about all of the shenanigans that go on in a high-density living community. When I first joined I got to hear about how right before I moved into the complex there was a "special assessment" ($1000 per unit....and there are 96 units), in order to pay the legal fees to fight the Wal-Mart that was going to be built basically in our backyard. Needless to say, the big-box won. I'm EXTREMELY impressed that they were powerful enough to station a cop at the bodega.....someone on your board has some serious clout. Question is, is it someone wearing yarmulke? :-) Interesting that Jewish people can't push buttons on the Sabbath.....who knew??