We returned from our summer vacation with Margo's family a week or so ago. When people at work asked where I was going, I usually said "the Finger Lakes" for short-hand, figuring that "Mormon history sites" would take some explaining. However, I realized that "the Finger Lakes" are not much more familiar to non-native New Yorkers. I myself proved this point when two natives asked me "Which Finger lake?" and of course I had no idea, because other than the fact that our hotel was on one of them, our trip in reality had no connection to the Finger Lakes. (It turns out that our hotel in Canandaigua is on Canandaigua Lake. Should've guessed.)
When I did have the time to explain to one person at work that we were going to the Mormon history sites, she said she knew exactly what I was talking about because she remembered the Big Love family vacation to the "angel light show." I suppose that is not a bad description of the pageant. It definitely sounds more 21st century than "pageant." (Renaissance, medieval, and obsolete?) At any rate, I was impressed that at least someone knew how we would be spending the first half of our vacation.

When I did have the time to explain to one person at work that we were going to the Mormon history sites, she said she knew exactly what I was talking about because she remembered the Big Love family vacation to the "angel light show." I suppose that is not a bad description of the pageant. It definitely sounds more 21st century than "pageant." (Renaissance, medieval, and obsolete?) At any rate, I was impressed that at least someone knew how we would be spending the first half of our vacation.
The second half of the vacation was at Margo's uncle's house on the St. Lawrence River/Seaway in the Thousand Islands area. For a region that used to be one of the premier resorts for the upper class of the East Coast, it is now even less well-known than the Finger Lakes.
Since I mortally injured our camera (in the Sacred Grove no less) we don't have too many pictures, but maybe we can pirate some from the rest of the family. In the meantime, the Reader's Digest version: in Palmyra we enjoyed the sites (including a personal tour of the Smith frame house from Margo's uncle, Elder Semadeni), the pageant (where we saw our bearded stake president playing the apostle Philip), and the temple.
On the St. Lawrence, we went on a boat tour of the islands (including Boldt Castle), made a quick trip to Canada (via two ferries), and enjoyed kayaking and relaxing on the river. The other important note is that Isaac does not like his car seat, but he usually fell asleep if we were in the car for more than 15 minutes, so we survived.
1 comment:
All very interesting Cliff but I want more Isaac pictures!!
Post a Comment