Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cliff Blair Spotlight

The ward did a spotlight on Cliff a couple weeks ago:

WEEKEND SPOTLIGHT: Brother Cliff Blair
1. Family Names (and your family's names.... children' s ages would be nice too)?
Cliff, Margo, and "Baby Boy Blair" due Nov. 11 (we are accepting name suggestions)

2. Where you were born, grew up, spent most of your life?
I was born and grew up in Layton, Utah.

3. Current profession, what you studied in school?
Lawyer; as an undergraduate I studied political science and Russian

4. What brought you to the city?
Law school

5. Who do you admire most and why?
Hard to choose--I know so many wonderful people. Any list would have to include my Dad, who taught me to work hard, have fun, and magnify all Church callings, whether "big" or "small."

6. Dating tip for us singles?
" 'Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompense of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.... If any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.... We are not of them who draw back unto perdition.' [Hebrews 10:35–36, 38–39] That is to say, 'Sure it is tough....' That is the way it has always been, Paul said, but don't 'draw back,' he warned. Don't panic and retreat.Don't lose your confidence." Jeffrey R. Holland (read the whole talk,it is great: http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=8501).


7. Scripture that gets you through?
It is hard for me to pick favorites, but Moroni 7 is my favorite chapter in scripture. Prov. 3:5-6 are verses that help me to be at peace about life.

8. Favorite cold cereal, what you would eat at your last meal, something you always crave (food)?Honey Bunches of Oats w/ almonds; surf & turf; mint anything (esp. chocolate)

9. Sports? Music?
I try to follow BYU football, but I'm not really a fanatic (although I do know all the words to the fight song, which I view as a minimum requirement to be a BYU fan). I also get somewhat defensive about Yankee's naysayers (but this year I was proved wrong). Margo tries to keep me up on contemporary music, which I mostly like, but otherwise: classical.

10. Favorite part/time of the day?
I wish I were a morning person, but I am an inveterate night owl.

11. What do you like to do after a long day of work?
Mostly sleep, but if I have time I love to read the newspaper or a good book. Sometimes I treat myself to the Colbert Report. This will give you an additional insight into #9, supra, ("Sports"): http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/videos.jhtml?videoId=163282

12. Something that most people wouldn't know/wouldn't' t guess about you?
In high school and college I drove 1966 Ford Mustangs (vintage burgundy in high school and signal flare red in college).

13. Something random you would like to share?
This is one of my favorite lawyer jokes:http://funmeme.com/archive/2008/06/11/a-truck-driver-and-a-priest-lawyer-joke.aspx

Otherwise, things here are going well. We saw the doctor yesterday and I am dilated to a 1. She was measuring my tummy and was saying it is a small baby and will be an easy delivery. Then she started poking around the sides of my tummy, and her eyes got a bit wide. She looked at Cliff and I and said, 'every where I touch is baby! this could be a big baby!' I am unsure how that changes our naming pool--is there a name that means 'flat but wide?'

6 comments:

Mackenzie said...

"Flat but wide" - that made me laugh out loud. Good luck on the name. I have a great book if you are interested...

Jilly Bean said...

Ha! Your small but big baby will be a piece of cake to deliver! ;) Dilated to 1...hooray! 9 more to go.

Bryce said...

I want to know what happened to the ford mustang! Where is it now?

Lindsay said...

Hi guys! Thanks again for having us over for dinner on Sunday. We had a blast! Do keep us posted on the status of your "flat but wide" baby. :)

Lindsay, Blake, and Garrett
http://lindsayadventures.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it would translate great in another language:) Don't listen to it too much, though, in my experience the doc is usually wrong on the baby size:) Keep us posted!!

Amber :) said...

a) What the devil is "surf and turf"?
b) I didn't know you liked Colbert! We should watch that when I come.
c) I'm coming in 36 days. :)
d) Oh Bud, you and those Yankees.
e) Bryce: Oh, I'll tell you about those mustangs. To our hearts discontent, they have been "barned" and both their batteries were recently stolen and are thus not drivable. Booooo!
Lovingly,
Cliff's sister :)